Roberto Abraham Scaruffi

Tuesday 7 May 2013

STRATFOR

Geopolitical Weekly Share This Report

VIEW MORE:
- Security Weekly Reports
- Geopolitical Weekly Reports
- Watch Videos
- Gain More Access

Geopolitical Journey: Nostalgia for NATO


Several years ago, I wrote a series of articles on a journey in Europe. It was intended both to be personal and to go beyond recent events or the abstract considerations of geopolitics. This week I begin another journey that will take me from Portugal to Singapore, and I thought that I would try my hand again at reflecting on the significance of my travels.

As I prepare for my journey, I am drawn to a central question regarding the U.S.-European relationship, or what remains of it. Having been in Europe at a time when that relationship meant everything to both sides, and to the world, this trip forces me to think about NATO. I have been asked to make several speeches about U.S.-European relations during my upcoming trip. It is hard to know where to start. The past was built around NATO, so thinking about NATO's past might help me put things in perspective. Read More »